Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA)
- Location: CA 95814
- Marching Since: September 07, 2005
Global warming and the pollution and burning of fossil fuels that cause it are threats we see here in California and everywhere around the world. These pollutants blanket the globe, trapping heat and creating the “greenhouse” effect – the warming of the earth’s atmosphere. All of this impacts California’s water supply, public health, agriculture, coastlines, forestry, and much more.>
We have no choice but to meet this challenge. So, we will mobilize with an aggressive plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
* We will fully implement California’s landmark greenhouse gas law which requires cleaner burning vehicles sold in our state starting in 2009.
* We are going to accelerate the timetable to get more energy from renewable sources with a 20% reduction by 2010 and a 33% reduction by 2020.
* We will continue to push my initiative to have one million solar powered homes and buildings in California to save energy and reduce pollution.
* We are greening the state’s fleet of government vehicles – 70,000 of them – to be the most fuel-efficient in the world.
* And we are recruiting businesses up and down the state to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions because it makes sense for our environment and our economy. Those who have already reduced their greenhouse gas emissions have saved billions of dollars.
Pollution reduction has long been proven to be a money-saver for businesses. It reduces operating costs, increases profits and creates new and expanded markets for
California can and must reduce pollution, reduce greenhouse gases that cause global warming and at the same time improve our economy.
I am joining the historic Virtual March on Washington, along with other environmental leaders, Senator John McCain, activist Laurie David, and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., among many others, because we need to address global warming now.