Former Mayor Oscar B. Goodman, Las Vegas, NV
- Location: NV 89101
- Marching Since: January 04, 2007
As Mayor of the city of Las Vegas, one of my priorities has been to create, integrate, and manage orderly and sustainable development and growth of our community. That means not only understanding the effect of growth on our environment, but also taking proactive steps to stop global warming. When most people think of Las Vegas, they think only of the excesses that are popularized by our entertainment venues. What they may not realize is that Las Vegas is also a model for sustainability. Under my leadership, the city of Las Vegas has already taken steps to ensure sustainable development, including:
* Fueling over 200 city vehicles with compressed natural gas.
* Powering 87% of the city non-emergency fleet with alternative fuels.
* Increasing participation in a local ride-sharing program known as Club Ride.
* Retrofitting city facilities with energy efficient lighting activated by motion sensors.
* Committing to designing “green” facilities whenever feasible, including a proposed new city hall.
* Promoting the planting of trees citywide, resulting in the designation of Las Vegas as a “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation.
* Expanding a city recycling program to include plastics and aluminum.
* Addressing global warming must be a shared effort across communities, cities, states, and countries.
For more information about the efforts undertaken by the city of Las Vegas, please visit our website at www.lasvegasnevada.gov.