- Japan follows Europe by tapping offshore wind for power
Overlooking a mountain lake a few hours drive from Tokyo, dozens of tall wind turbines spin in the breeze creating carbon-free power for the world’s [...]
- Lifestyle changes can curb climate change: IPCC chief
Don’t eat meat, ride a bike, and be a frugal shopper — that’s how you can help brake global warming, the head of the United [...]
- Montana high school cancels climate speech
A climate scientist’s speech to high school students was canceled because members of the rural community were concerned the Nobel Peace Prize laureate’s message on [...]
- Texas Is Biggest Carbon Polluter
Everything’s big in Texas — big pickup trucks, big SUVs and the state’s big carbon footprint, too.
Texans’ fondness for large, manly vehicles has helped make [...]
- Escalating Ice Loss Found in Antarctica
Climatic changes appear to be destabilizing vast ice sheets of western Antarctica that had previously seemed relatively protected from global warming, researchers reported yesterday, raising [...]
- City Council Passes Bill for Recycling of Plastic Bags
The stash under the sink grows inexorably: bags from Duane Reade and D’Agostino, bags from Home Depot and the health food store. Wadded up, stuffed [...]
- In Greenland, Ice and Instability
The ancient frozen dome cloaking Greenland is so vast that pilots have crashed into what they thought was a cloud bank spanning the horizon. Flying [...]
- Groups to sue for polar bear protection
Three conservation groups notified the federal government Wednesday they intend to sue to get polar bears listed as a threatened species due to global warming.
- Most polar bears could be gone by 2050
Two-thirds of the world’s current polar bear population could be gone by midcentury if predictions of melting sea ice hold true, the U.S. Geological Survey [...]
- APEC rift opens over climate change debate
Leaders at an Asia-Pacific summit appeared deadlocked on Thursday over what their “Sydney Declaration” on climate change and cutting greenhouse gas emissions should say.
China’s President [...]