- City Council Passes Bill for Recycling of Plastic Bags
The stash under the sink grows inexorably: bags from Duane Reade and D’Agostino, bags from Home Depot and the health food store. Wadded up, stuffed [...]
- In Greenland, Ice and Instability
The ancient frozen dome cloaking Greenland is so vast that pilots have crashed into what they thought was a cloud bank spanning the horizon. Flying [...]
- Groups to sue for polar bear protection
Three conservation groups notified the federal government Wednesday they intend to sue to get polar bears listed as a threatened species due to global warming.
- Most polar bears could be gone by 2050
Two-thirds of the world’s current polar bear population could be gone by midcentury if predictions of melting sea ice hold true, the U.S. Geological Survey [...]
- APEC rift opens over climate change debate
Leaders at an Asia-Pacific summit appeared deadlocked on Thursday over what their “Sydney Declaration” on climate change and cutting greenhouse gas emissions should say.
China’s President [...]
- Scientists project huge loss of sea ice
An analysis of 20 years’ worth of real-life observations supports recent U.N. computer predictions that by 2050, summer sea ice off Alaska’s north coast will [...]
- GAO faults agencies over global warming
Wildfires are flaring bigger and hotter in Alaska, the northern Rockies and the Sierra Nevada. Bighorn sheep, mountain goats and grizzly bears in Glacier National [...]
- Climate Change Redraws World Maps
Drastic changes to land and water wrought by climate change are forcing cartographers to redraw their maps of the world.
Evidence of the effects of human [...]
- For-Profit Crusade Against Junk Mail
Pankaj Shah may be the only chief executive in Silicon Valley striving to put himself out of business.
He is the founder of GreenDimes, a small [...]
- Global warming may pose threat to heart
Global warming may be melting glaciers and forcing polar bears onto land, but doctors warn it could also affect your heart.
“If it really is a [...]