- Scientists Report Severe Retreat of Arctic Ice
The cap of floating sea ice on the Arctic Ocean, which retreats under summer’s warmth, this year shrank more than one million square miles — [...]
- San Francisco to go dark, save energy
The Golden Gate Bridge, City Hall, Alcatraz and other parts of the city will go almost completely dark for an hour next month as part [...]
- New Zealand announces major scheme to tackle climate change
The New Zealand government said Thursday it would gradually introduce emissions trading from next year to tackle climate change.
Under the scheme, major industries will be [...]
- SEC Pressed to Require Climate-Risk Disclosures
One of the industries considered most vulnerable to climate change is the insurance industry, with shifting weather patterns threatening property in the nation’s most hurricane-prone [...]
- Ban Ki-moon urges countries on global warming
The science is clear and the time short, but the political will is lacking to confront global warming, the U.N. secretary-general said Tuesday.
Ban Ki-moon said [...]
- Climate Change Brings Risk of More Extinctions
BLACKWATER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, Md. — What has gone missing here is almost as spectacular as the 8,000 acres of swampy wilderness that remain. And [...]
- Climate change tops future humanitarian challenges: Annan
Former UN chief Kofi Annan warned Monday that climate change was likely to be the most urgent humanitarian challenge in the future, highlighting some one [...]
- Tax proposed for gas-guzzling cars in UK
Britain’s Treasury chief plans to introduce a “purchase tax” of up to $4,000 on the most polluting vehicles, The Sunday Times reported.
Alistair Darling also plans [...]
- Northwest Passage ice shrinks to new low
Arctic ice coverage has receded this week to record lows, the European Space Agency said, raising the prospect of greater maritime traffic through a long-sought [...]
- Panel Faults Emphasis of U.S. Climate Program
An effort by the Bush administration to improve federal climate research has answered some questions but lacks a focus on impacts of changing conditions and [...]