- Marching Since: August 16, 2006
At Timberland, we live by a simple challenge and a common commitment — make it better. Every day, we apply skill and passion to find new ways to improve our products, strengthen our relationships with stakeholders, and enhance the communities where we live and work. “Make it better” is straightforward, practical and common sense. It can be small measures of goodness or revolutionary breakthroughs in product technology. It’s the shoes we craft and the green spaces we restore. And at the end of the day, our hope is that the people and places we touch take notice of a better world and a more beautiful planet.
We have a special passion for the outdoors and a heritage deeply rooted in mountains, streams and hiking trails all over the world. So if climate change affects the way we recreate and the quality of life for our children, it’s personal.
As accountable corporate citizens with a genuine commitment to environmental stewardship, we focus almost obsessively on our energy use and the contribution we make to greenhouse gases. Our comprehensive approach encompasses a broad array of rigorous corporate policies, the development of new green technologies and innovations, and most importantly, engagement with citizens and partners all over the world. With their wisdom and collaboration, we seek to achieve carbon neutrality by 2010.
- Use less energy: To date, lighting improvements have helped us cut our energy use and greenhouse gas emissions between 30-50% at several of our facilities.
- Buy or generate clean, renewable energy: In the last three years, five renewable energy systems (four solar arrays and a wind turbine) have contributed to our current electricity utilization rate of 6% from clean, renewable sources. The most recent effort was the installation of a 400kW solar array at our Ontario, CA distribution center. The array provides 60% of the power for our facility — enough electricity to power 50 homes. Our distribution center in Holland is powered by 100% renewable energy !
- Offset our emissions through renewable energy credits: Our purchase of renewable energy credits supports the development of wind farms in South Dakota and Minnesota.
- Plant trees to store carbon: From the Horqin Desert in China to the National Park System of New Hampshire to the green spaces of the Bronx, we¹ve committed to plant more than 2,000,000 trees by 2009.
- Make more sustainable design choices: From shoe, to packaging, to ship and store we¹re diligent about understanding and reducing our environmental footprint. We use life cycle analysis to help pick better materials for our product, package our footwear in 100% post-consumer recycled boxes, analyze modal shifts to improve the fuel-efficiency of our carriers, and use green building principles to minimize resource use at our retail outlets.
- Inspire civic action globally. Through our annual Earth Day celebration; high impact service projects; strategic partnerships, such as the Stop Global Warming Virtual March; and a broad array of green products and in-store communication, we seek to inspire and engage consumers to lead and advocate as environmental stewards. Please join us in raising your voice to stop global warming.
Join us and sign up for the Stop Global Warming Virtual March today!